Monday, January 19, 2009

Are you cold too?

If you are freezing in January (like me), here is a recipe for one of our family-favorite soups. I like to serve it with some Rhodes Whole Wheat Freezer Rolls.



Minestrone Soup

Ingredients:

2 Tbsp. olive oil
1 small onion, diced
2 ribs celery, chopped
2 cloves minced garlic
1 tsp. basil *
1/2 tsp. rosemary*
1/2 tsp. thyme*
1/2 cup pearl barley
4 red potatoes, chopped (small)
2 carrots, chopped
10 cups chicken broth
1 can light red kidney beans
2/3 cups small shell macaroni
1– 8 oz. can tomato sauce
1 cups shredded cabbage

Directions:

Sauté onion and celery in oil for 8 minutes (medium heat, careful not to burn). Add garlic, basil, rosemary, and thyme and sauté 2 more minutes. Add barley, potatoes, carrots, and chicken broth. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer for 20 minutes. Add kidney beans (including liquid), shell macaroni, and tomato sauce. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer 15 minutes. Add cabbage. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer 10 more minutes.

You can garnish this with grated mozzarella cheese if you like.

*Possible substitution: 2 tsp. Italian Seasoning for basil, rosemary, & thyme.

Even my kids will eat this soup. And it's very filling. You could make it healthier by using whole wheat pasta, or adding other various vegetables, but as far as this recipe is concerned - I choose not to push-my-luck with my children.

3 comments:

Leah said...

Thanks for the recipe but it's way too warm here for soup. We are having grilling weather :) Wish you were here!

Sarah said...

That makes two of us! Yesterday Fax said he was having a craving for Roundtable Pizza. So I'm trying to convince him that we need to head down to Vegas sometime in February. I'm not extremely hopeful, but you never know.

Sarah said...

I love Minestrone Suop