Saturday, May 17, 2008
Just the Joy....
Okay, so today I was cleaning the kids' bathroom and I asked Jake if he wanted to scrub the toilet. Now I know, why would anyone want to scrub the toilet, right? But usually Jake really enjoys helping me out and trying new things. Lately he's been into scrubbing the toilet with the scrub brush. For his effort I let him pick out a quarter from the massive change jar we have. Anyway, today I asked him if he wanted to help and he said he did. So he came into the bathroom and said, "Am I going to get a quarter for this?" Now, I don't know why, but I said, "No, you will just get the joy and satisfaction of a job well done." Then he replied, "Oh, no thanks then." So, don't get me wrong, it didn't surprise me or even disappoint me. He's 6. But as I continued cleaning the bathroom it got me thinking. It got me thinking about why I do things. I thought about all the jobs I do, and mostly (especially as a Mom that stays at home all the time) I don't get paid and often the things I do go completely unrecognized. So, all I have is....the joy and satisfaction of a job well done. I think that alone should mean more to me. Anyway, those were my musing for the day.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
4 comments:
Amen sister, but ther is a lot of joy to be recieved.
For that, you and Leah can both have a quarter out of the big change jar.
Doesn't it drive you crazy when the job well done doesn't last more than say a few hours???
I think that's because there are just so many jobs yet to be done. My mind moves on to other things too quickly.
Post a Comment