Friday, September 26, 2008

Getting Ready for School

Today I went on a fabulous field trip to Aspen Grove with Jake and the other first graders. If I had remembered my camera I would post some pictures. Anyway, I couldn't take Summer so I arranged for her to hang out with her Aunt GG (Gretchen). No big deal, right? She loves Gretchen. She asks me on a daily basis if she can go to her house while I go shopping or something. But this morning she was not feeling it. She screamed and cried that she didn't want to go and that I was being mean. We talked it over for a good 5-10 minutes and she clearly understood, but at the same time did not care. When she started screaming at me I escorted her to her bed and then went out and shut the door so that I wouldn't have to listen to it. She, of course, continued to scream, "I'M NOT GOING!! I'M NOT GOING!!" Now, I had a lot to do this morning. Four lunches to make, four people to get ready, pick up for carpool, and make it to school on time. Every mom knows what I'm talking about. So then Summer got a job. Because at our house if you make more work for Mom (who already has enough of her own) then you get to help with some of it. That's when the anger hit the fan and Summer screamed at me, "YOU ARE NOT MY FAVORITE MOMMY ANYMORE!!!" I was laughing so hard I couldn't do anything. I had clear recollections of Kaleb at a similar age screaming at Gretchen, "I'M NOT GONNA BE YOUR MOMMY ANYMORE!!!" Anyway, eventually she pulled it together. Fax was nice enough to take her to Gretchen's house so I didn't have to repeat all of that at her house, and Jake and I were off on the field trip. Plus, Kaleb is now a fabulous 15 year old, so I'm not too worried about Summer. I just hope I can hold it together that long.

1 comment:

Babcocks said...

I love your stories. She is a good person just as we all go through those rough days. Devon told me yesturday with a sad face. Don't make me go through it agian. I had a bad day. In my head I was thinking ya we all have bad days, we move on and get over them too.