Tuesday, October 14, 2008

Good-bye Garden. I'll miss you.

Blackberries before and after. (Thank you huge bumblebees!!)
So, one of my favorite parts of spring is getting my smallish garden ready to be planted. Then planting, and slowly-but-surely seeing all our little plants get bigger. And, of course, harvesting. (I'm not sure there is anything as tasty as corn picked from your own garden. Maybe blackberries picked from your garden.) What is my least favorite part? No, not pulling weeds. No, not dealing with various insects. My least favorite part is the first frost that comes and kills all my hard work. Last year I was picking tomatoes in November. This year I have not been so lucky. It snowed Sunday morning and we had hard frosts the last two nights. I have one tomato plant that is pretty sheltered and some of it survived, but everything else is dead. (At least we have grocery stores, right?) That's how it goes when you live somewhere with seasons. Anyway, that's enough lamenting for one post. Here are some pictures that I took this year of my garden. It's only October and I already miss summertime.
5 June, 2008
20 June, 2008
7 July, 2008
1 August, 2008

Tomorrow I will take a picture of my garden and post what it looks like now. (So sad looking.)

I know this is a boring post for most. But I really like gardening. I even enjoy mowing my lawn and making sure it's weed-free. So I totally understand if no one wants to comment. (And that is not a solicitation for comments!!)

6 comments:

Leah said...

Fine I'll comment, I love gardens but a really don't have a green thumb. If you're missing summer come on down we're still having summer.

Sarah said...

You know I'm so jealous!! But also glad that I can retreat to Vegas when needed.

Christy said...

I'm very impressed....I wish that I could have such a green yard....just red dirt for us down here.

Babcocks said...

The garden looks great. I love the garden and always wanted to have my own and never had a place to do it in. We have room here and then things went down here. I never know how long I am going to be around in a place. No long term plans here. I love how you can do all that. You had a great garden and hope that I can do one next time. I will surely call you agian for help.

Sarah said...

JACOB says:

The corn was good! YUM!!!!!

Sarah said...

BROOK says:

I like playing in that dirt!