Sunday, November 8, 2009

The Year of Repairs

The last 12 months have been, well, expensive. Fax and I have started referring to it as, "The year of repairs." Why? Because it seems that every machine in our house is going to, or has, broken this year. Would you like the list? Probably not, but here goes anyway:
1. Dishwasher. Replacement cost: $500 (We got a good deal on a scratch n' dent.)
2. All three cars & multiple times. I guess that's how it goes when your newest car is almost 15 years old. Fortunately, Fax is very handy and can fix most car issues. And when he can't, he has a good friend that's also a mechanic who trades with him. Don't really know how much we ended up spending on these for parts, etc. Not really sure I want to know.
3. Air conditioner. $600. We didn't even get a new one, we just had the coil replaced. So it's just a matter of time before we have to shell out the really big bucks! (Sorry Leah and Matt for having to stay in our house before the repair man came.)
4. Computer. $500. It kicked the bucket, but fortunately we had already saved our files. Phew!
5. Monitor. A few months later our newerish monitor crapped out too. How much? Fax said he got a good deal on it, so I didn't ask. I get a little stressed out about spending.
6. Washing machine. The ball-bearings started leaking or something. To fix it would cost more than it's worth, and that's if Fax fixed it. Since we had another one, it wasn't that big of a deal.
7. Lawn mower. $150. We not only had to pay that much to get it fixed, but it also took almost a month. Note to self, spring is a very busy time for lawn mower repair men.
8. Multiple outdoor lights. $80. We're not talking new light bulbs, but actually replacing the entire fixture. Que Fax. Thank goodness, I can't imagine how much more it would have been to have an electrician put them in.
9. Garbage Disposal. $150. I forgot this one last night.
And last but not least......(at least I hope it's last.)....
10. Washing machine. Price ? I don't know, because it just stopped working yesterday, and we haven't had a chance to replace it yet. Yes, the other washing machine that we've been using has now also gone the way of all the earth. I'll try looking on the bright-side. No laundry for at least a couple of days.

Honestly, I'm not trying to complain. I actually think it's pretty funny. And I'm looking forward to next year, because everything will be working perfectly. Thankfully, none of the people in our household have needed any major repairs. Just things. And every single one of those things people didn't even really have 100 years ago. Technically, none of these things are actually needs. I think most Americans would classify them as such, but most of the world lives without them.
So apparently when your house is coming up on twelve years, it's time to trade in for a newer model. Who knew? And if, for some reason, you would love a broken washing machine, let me know. I've got two. If not, I'll use my free coupon to the dump. Aaahhh, free.

3 comments:

Leah said...

Sheesh that's a lot of repairs. And all the while your freeloading family still stayed at your house for weeks on end. Losers!

Gigi said...

Will you take our non working dishwasher when you go to the dump? It needs to go too. I feel like the white-trash house with it sitting in the driveway:)

Gigi said...

And PS....
Kessa and I look like we are mentally challenged in the picture