

Anyone who knows me, knows that reading is not one of my favorite things to do. (I'd really rather be outside mowing the lawn or something.) However, reading to my kids is an entirely different story. Especially when the weather is nasty outside and it gets dark at like 5:00. So here are some books that my kids have really loved having me read to them, and which I also enjoyed.
1. The Little House on the Prairie books. Especially the ones illustrated by Garth Williams. We started with The Little House in the Big Woods and read them in order. They are great books and reminded me what is really important. Also made me grateful that I live now. I read these to Brook and Jake when Brook was in first grade. Then I read them to Jake again when he was in first grade because he didn't remember them. They both loved them.
2. The Ramona Books by Beverly Cleary. The first one is Ramona and Beezus. I started reading these to Summer, and now Brook and Jake won't let me start until they've finished their homework and can listen in also. These ones remind me of when I grew up. And the kids think they're hilarious.
3. Fablehaven. We've only completed the first one, and we're starting the second. All my kids like them, although they might be a tad scary for the younger ones.
I'd love to hear about some books you have enjoyed reading to your kids. Yes, Harry Potter is on our list to read, although Brook and Jake have already started and read a few on their own. The next ones I'd like to read to them are the Chronicles of Narnia. Please no suggestions of Junie B. Jones. I'm not a fan.
2 comments:
My kids loved Charlottes Web and Babe.
Eli's getting into the Percy Jackson books. Riordan is the author I think.
We also liked the Stink and Judy Moody books by Megan McDonald. I hate that Fudge character and his mean older bro. by Judy Blume, though.
Post a Comment