Friday, February 29, 2008

Dinner Salvation!

I know I've never posted up about this, but I really feel I should because it's made such a fabulous difference in my life. It's called dinner rotation and it's a pretty simple idea. My friend Becky convinced three of us to give it a try for one month, and now we're all hooked. Anyway, here's how it works. One night a week you make dinner for all the other families and the other nights you have dinner delivered to you. So for me, on Monday, Tuesday, and Wednesday I have dinner brought to me. On Thursday I make dinner for my family and the other 3 families. Here are my favorite things about it:
  1. I have had more time to spend helping my kids with their homework, etc. after school.
  2. I haven't had as many dishes to do (most of dinner mess is the pots and pans)!
  3. I've saved loads of money because I can buy in bulk.
  4. I only have to come up with 4 dinners per month.
  5. We don't eat out nearly as much. Don't get me wrong, I love eating out, but it's expensive and really not that healthy most of the time.
  6. I have to say that I almost enjoy cooking now because I don't feel like it's a chore anymore.
Seriously, if you have a few friends with similar family sizes to your own, give it a try. Even for a week. You'll love it. We each bought 3 -9x13 glass dishes with lids. That's what we deliver dinner in. Then it doesn't matter which ones you get back because they're all the same. This last week our family had:
  1. Pork chops and potatoes
  2. Chicken pot pie
  3. Poppyseed chicken with rice
  4. Pulled pork sandwiches with potato salad
We usually have leftovers for lunch during the week and often times for dinner on Friday night as well. Anyway, I love this system. Let me know if any of you try it and like it too.

1 comment:

Matt said...

Good stuff, Sarah! We'll have to give it a try in Vegas!